Week 5 was extremely fruitful in terms of finding photos and primary sources to look through. “Racism in U.S. Imperialism” by Rubin Francis Weston was useful in providing a comprehensive look at the U.S. occupation of Haiti, as well as primary source footnotes that will be useful in my exhibit.
I also started putting together the introduction page on my online exhibit. I will be working on pages on topics concerning:
- The NAACP and The Nation investigates Haiti
- History of U.S. Imperialism and “The White Man’s Burden”
- The Monroe Doctrine and its Expansion under Wilson
- The Hispaniola Senate Hearings
- Haitian Responses to Occupation
- Freedom of the Haitian Press
- Lasting effects of Occupation
I was also able to find many photos from 1915-1921, but one of the struggles I am facing is finding photos of Haitians. Many of the photos are of Marines and their weapons, bases, and daily life.