UCSB Oct 5 – Nov 19

My name is Matthew Fosdick and I am a senior at JMU. I have been interning for the Woodrow Wilson Presidential Library for over two months now. Since starting as an intern I have been working on the Eleanor Wilson McAdoo Collection at University of California-Santa Barbara. This collection consisted of many letters between the Wilson family as well as memorial and commencement speeches. In the beginning this project consisted of creating and uploading an entirely new entry on the Omeka site. The collection information came in the form of a spread sheet and I entered that information into the Dublin core, Item Type Metadata, EAD Archive, Files and Tags. Much of the information that was needed was found in the spreadsheet but the spreadsheet was not very well organized nor entirely accurate. This made the entire process sluggish. After a couple of weeks the information on the spreadsheet was uploaded to Omeka all at once, something that I did not do. The information uploaded was all accurate and made my job much easier and more streamlined. All I had to do then was edit and arrange the uploaded documents and make them public. This editing ranged from correcting simple spelling errors to re-creating the entire uploaded document depending on the discrepancies between the actual document and the uploaded version. I have completed the entire collection of 141 documents and I feel that I have made a contribution to the archives here.

Week 8-10 | October 31- November 14 2018

Hello its Gaten again, back again with another intern blog. These past 3 weeks have had me work on Finding Aids for the numerous collections that are public. I followed a similar procedure fpr each one. First I created a Finding Aid Template. For each of the collections I filled in the information the best I could based off the existing finding aid. If no finding aid existed, I had to use information from the master collection spreadsheet. For some of the collections, I imported the collection list from the museum’s website. To wrap up each finding aid, I created a pdf of the finding aid in Microsoft word. Omeka needs pdf files for uploads so I had to do that.